Wednesday 2 July 2014

Day 172: First day in Vietnam

This morning I landed in Hanoi airport; immigration was incredibly quick for once and my baggage happened to be the first one out. Everything seemed to be going a bit too well. It was then time to try and find my way into the city, so I lugged my bag out into the heat and waited for a minibus into Hanoi. About two hours later, in a jam packed bus we finally left the airport and proceeded to spend a further 2 hours driving around Hanoi dropping everyone off. The traffic here is crazy, I thought Lima was bad, but this is a whole different level-but somehow it seems to work. Eventually I was dropped off next to St. Joseph's cathedral and the driver told me to walk in a vague direction down some street and I'm not entirely sure how, but I luckily stumbled across my hostel looking rather bedraggled. Clem came and found me as I was checking in, had a quick shower and then we took ourselves off for a wander around the city. 



Our first Pho and coconut juice


Papaya salad and spring rolls for dinner