Monday 21 April 2014

Day 101: A little day trip

Today was a bank holiday so most shops etc were still closed, but I found out there was a modern art gallery called Heide in the suburb called Bulleen. So I decided to take my bike over and go see what it was like. There was an amazing cafe/restaurant there and all the work they had on display was really interesting. They had a big section, called We Are The Dead Men, on post World War II work by Australian artists. They strongly opposed Australia's involvement in the war and reflected their own experiences in their work. Also there was rather an odd exhibition, by Melanie Irwin, which comprised of a girl standing inside a white stretchy canvas whilst manipulating it with random objects such as a drying rack and her own body. I didn't manage to get any photos but I managed to find a video on the internet (below). There was another really cool exhibition by Emily Floyd called Far Rainbow. The art gallery ended up actually being seriously far away and it was so windy today that I almost got blown off my bike several times (slightly unnerving) but all in all worth while. This evening I also ended up cycling over to Rob's house for some seriously good stir fry and ridiculously cheap red wine ($2.50 a bottle from Aldi!!) and it turned out to be actually not so bad.