Friday 3 January 2014

Day 5: Choccie making and painting

Today we went straight to La Recoletta, the old people's home to continue painting the outside walls. Ursula left really early this morning which meant I had to find my own way there and got incredibly lost. I had to ask several people for directions and most of their answers I couldn't really understand but I eventually got there and bumped into a few other girls. While we were waiting we played with two little girls who the nuns also take care of, and we taught them some english and they also sang for us. We began painting the walls with a second coat and soon after that Erica arrived. At around half 11 I left so that I could get all the paint off me and change into some clean clothes as the paint gets everywhere! It was about a 6 block walk up from the main offices. Once we got there, the woman began explaining the process of making chocolate from the cocoa bean and the different types of beans. She then began making different types of drink with 100% cocoa, the Mayan one consisted of chilli powder hot water and then the cocoa which we all tried and was absolutely disgusting. She also made a drink from the shells of the cocoa beans which is like a tea and you add sugar to it, which was really yummy and tasted exactly like hot chocolate. We then got onto making our own chocolate where we could add any extra things such as nuts or marshmallows. However, I think I had a slight allergic reaction to the chocolate which was so sweet and rich. I made my way back home to find that we have another person living in our house called Oren, who has come from the USA, but he has been camping in Patagonia for the last 4 months. So now its not just me and crazy Ursula anymore!!

The cutest little girls who are looked after by the nuns at La Recolleta




La Recolleta

Erica painting


view of the square from the chocolate museum

me and my chocolate






grinding up the chocolate beans

peruvian choccie

the square outside the chocolate place